Welcome to Obsidian Middle School – Home of the Wolves!
It is with great pride that I welcome you to one of the best middle schools in Oregon. With a six-period day and over 600 students, Obsidian MS is a bustling and engaging learning environment that offers many unique opportunities for students. Chromebook carts in each classroom supports students as they work on new core content curriculum; our amazing electives allow students multiple avenues to pursue their interests:
- Band/Choir-No prior experience is needed in this class, only a desire, and an interest in music. Students can explore different instruments and perform in various concerts throughout the year.
- Spanish-The focus on this high energy class is communication and the goal is for students to USE the language. Students have the opportunity to earn 1.5 high school credits in Spanish.
- Digital Technology-Students will learn photo and video editing, 3D design and printing, and basic computer coding utilizing Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere and Spark, Tinkercad, Google Sketchup, and Scratch.
- Art-Students are challenged to develop creative thinking. An Introduction to Art for 6th Grade includes art instruction in various art mediums as well as fascinating information on art history. This well-rounded class allows students to dabble in drawing, painting, pottery, printmaking and recycled materials. As students move forward in grade levels, the curriculum becomes choice based with expanded mediums, explorations of the elements of art and the principles of design.
- PE/Health focuses on the whole-student and engages students in health-enhancing physical activity as well as learning about the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
Our vision at Obsidian is All In, Can Do: Working Together to Make a Difference. We believe that students should be passionate and curious individuals! We know that with a collaborative, growth mindset, students can achieve anything they set their mind to. Genius Hour at Obsidian encompasses this vision by allowing students to pursue their interests for one hour each week. Students’ curiosity will guide them to create, to present, to change the world, to make a difference. We also offer sports opportunities at all grade levels and various clubs and activities throughout the school year.
Students at Obsidian have the potential to grow into amazing, confident individuals. We look forward to partnering with you and your family. Welcome to the pack!